Thursday, July 31, 2008

Celtic-Style Hammered Copper Necklace and Earrings


~Necklace and Earrings Together~
~'Dagger' Drop Bead Detail~

~Spiral Clasp Detail~

This last week has been really something. I am now officially teaching some wire working jewellery classes at The Bead Store in Kemptville starting in September, I've been working on several jewellery projects at once, I've been cleaning and gardening, taking photos for a friend, and I've been really sick with my Fibromyalgia flareups.
The piece above was originally going to be a mock-up for a Fibromyalgia Awareness jewellery set, but after making a few heart-shaped links, it took on a life of its own (as so often happens with art) and I was inspired to change a few things and make the necklace in its entirety. I then had to make matching earrings for it (of course!). Over 7 feet of copper wire was hand-wrapped and hammered into 21 Celtic-style hearts that are connected with silver-plated jump rings. 7 'jet' Czech glass 'dagger' beads are suspended from the bottoms of select hearts for extra style and substance. A sterling silver spiral clasp is the perfect accent, and also hammered to match the copper wire's hammered finish. An additional 2 hearts are suspended from sterling silver ear wires, with an additional 2 Czech glass 'dagger' beads in turn suspended from the bottom of the hearts. This necklace is lighter than air, despite it's appearance.
I'm now working on a similar-but-different piece in 14karat gold-filled wire with amethyst beads for a necklace, with matching earrings and a different take on the piece for a similarly-styled bracelet. I'll do a similar set in sterling silver when I'm done. I'll have them all for sale, but I might just keep some for myself - they are that gorgeous!
I'll keep you updated on the progress of the new pieces. Check the web links to the right of the page to go to The Bead Store's website and check them out!
Stay adorned, and until next time,
Meghann

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin