Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday - Helping Others Makes Me Feel Good!

~Gift Wrapped and Ready to Go!~

I got an email yesterday from a woman overseas who wanted to purchase some of my jewellery for her mother who lives near me; her mother's birthday is next week and she wanted to get something local and handmade and my shop fit the bill (especially as I donate money from my sales to charities, and they both appreciate that). During this email conversation I found out that, unfortunately like myself, her mother has fibromyalgia and daughter unfortunately has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, another debilitating and difficult disease. I offered to give her a free gift card and write "Happy Birthday Mom" in calligraphy so that it would look more like a gift and she wouldn't have to worry about a separate card arriving after the gift if she had to mail it from overseas. I then sent her a photo of what the package would look like (above) to make sure she would like it. It turns out that she was thrilled! She informed me that she had told her mom not to expect anything too nice for her birthday as she hadn't been able to purchase or mail anything due to her being so ill with her CFS. Now she knew her mom would be getting a nice package for her birthday!
I can't tell you how much it made my day to make her happy. I always wrap my items like the ones above, and it only took a few minutes to make an extra card to go with it, but she was so appreciative that it made me think of how little things done for others can not only make them happy, but the person who does the nice deed also.
Is there anything nice that you could do for someone today? Hold the door for someone whose arms are full of groceries? Pick up a book that someone has dropped? Tell someone (honestly, of course) that their hair/outfit/shoes look nice to cheer them up?
It's amazing how good a little act of kindness will make you feel...and you never know, they may repeat the favor to someone else, who may repeat that favor to another person, and before you know it, we are all nice, happy people! A little idealist, perhaps, but I don't think it is totally out of reach :)
Meghann

4 comments:

  1. What a nice thing to do! I really like your origami boxes and the gift and card look wonderful - it's a perfect present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. You have probably created a return customer by going that extra step too, even if that wasn't your intention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing to do! It does feel great to do a good deed for others! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making people happy - it's honestly the best part of having a business. I get to interact with many different people and treat them the way I would want to be treated - like a best friend. I want people to open my packages and feel so special, even if it isn't a special occasion. We all deserve to feel special!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin